Have you seen these bills? A little scary? We think so to.
Michigan Public Land Management At Risk – Calls and Letters Are Needed NOW! Stop Michigan Senate bills 39 & 40
These bills represent the most significant legislative intervention in public land management in the State’s history. These provisions include:
- The potential forced opening of our few remaining special management areas to motorized vehicles
- Increased timber harvest to levels which may be in conflict with publicly-adopted sustainable forest management plans
- Calls for the elimination of some habitat management activities which benefit both game and non-game wildlife species
- Transfers authority for strategic public land decisions in most areas of northern Michigan to a small number of local officials
- Requires accelerated and preferential sales of public land to adjacent private landowners, including lands which are NOT designated as surplus
- Reduced application fees for the private acquisition of public land or easements to levels which are well below the DNR’s cost of application review and administration
- Prohibits the DNR from rejecting even flawed real estate appraisals involving the State sale of public lands
- Prohibits public land management activities which are intended to preserve biological diversity
- Requires the development of new strategic land plans to facilitate these policies in spite of the fact that the DNR’s 2013 plan has never been legislatively approved or even formally considered
These proposed requirements collectively represent a significant diversion of DNR field staff time and resources away from the management of our forests, fisheries and wildlife. Don’t take our word for these provisions, here’s the bill analysis from the Senate Fiscal agency.
Please call or write Governor Rick Snyder (517-373-3400), State House Natural Resource Committee members and your District House Representative and voice your opposition to Senate Bills 39 & 40. (see links below); also, please call the DNR Administrative offices (517-284-6367) and ask them to oppose SB-39 & 40.
Gov. Snyder Contact link: http://www.michigan.gov/snyder/0,4668,7-277-57827-267869–,00.html
House Rep. Contact Link: http://house.michigan.gov/mhrpublic/frmRepList.aspx
Coalition to Stop MI Senate Bills 39 & 40